Monday 25 July 2011




I'm gona start my first review with a book that totally and utterly captured my heart from the first time I read the opening sentence. All it took from Carlos Ruiz Zafon was; "I still remember the day my father took me to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books for the first time." From there on, it only got better. I have 2 copies of this amazing, amazinggg book, simply 'cause 1 - I'm a neat freak; I don't like creases or folds on my books AT ALL, and can be quite a freak about it haha but I love my books to be in near perfect condition. ANYWAY. I have 2 copies of this, 1 being a battered copy which I read and abused, with post-it-notes, underlining quotes and basically doodling on bits I loved.

The book in itself is a piece of art. I've read nearly every book he has written with the exception of 1, but The Shadow of the Wind was the first and foremost and nothing can hold a candle to it. Exquisite detail throughout, with a way with words that truly captures your heart.

Without a shadow (no pun intended haha) of doubt, my favourite book in the whole world. I can't find the words to express how amazing this book is.. I was drawn in from the moment I read the blurb and when I started reading it, I was instantly tangled in this beautifully haunting story.. there were times I felt like crying, and even moments of fear as I turned each page, following Daniel's journey.

It speaks of a young boy and his lonely father, who own a modest bookshop in Barcelona, and one night when Daniel is afraid he is forgetting what his deceased mother looks like, his father takes him to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books and from which Daniel picks a book that will change his life. The book is what the plot pretty much rotates around, with added in tails of friendship, love, loss, loyalty and aspects of horror. I scoff at the idea that a book can actually scare you with written words - that was until reading this book. There was a moment in reading this book, for the first time, that I was afraid of turning the page 'cause of what I knew was coming next but yet it stunned me. That's how amazing and cleverly Carlos Zafon plotted and executed this story.

I've read and re-read this countless time and even then it never fails to amaze me. I love this book so much, I hope others find the beauty in it that I did and I guarantee it will stay with you till you've turned the last page.

No comments:

Post a Comment